Golden temple, locally known as “Hiranyavarna Mahabihar” is located nearby Patan Durbar Square. If you want to visit this site all you have do is follow the alleys 🙂 This temple is one of the most popular Buddhist monasteries build in Newar architecture. Apart from that this site is the best spot for observing metal/ bronze craft, various statues of Buddhist idols.
The golden temple has a history of more than 800 years. Interestingly locals still practicing the ancient culture: nominating a little boy as a priest of the temple. Who is known as a little Buddha (locally called as Baphacha). This little buddha does all the daily rituals of the temple. And he must follow the strike rules and regulations.
Some Interesting Facts :
- The main statue of Buddha Sakyamuni is believed to be made around 6th century
- All the rituals are performed by the two priests of Golden temple popularly known as Baphachas
- There are approximately 5000 members in this Mahavihar currently
- The replica of Swoyambhunath stupa of Kathmandu is situated at the center of the main court of this temple
- There is a mandala carved (Mandala portrays the entire Buddha-field) on the stone and fixed over the ceiling of entrance gate